Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Paging Dr. Heimlich


Can someone please explain to me why some sushi rolls are so darned big? I eat a lot of sushi and sometimes the rolls are comfortably bite-sized, but other times I feel like I'm wrestling with a seaweed wrapped hockey puck.

And even though you're supposed to eat the whole piece at once, I was always taught that it's not polite to jam your mouth with food, so the only way I can consume one of these monster makis is to take it apart. But then it becomes a big mess, and I end up flailing around in my soy sauce like I'm fighting a rip current.

There's probably some secret sushi eating technique that Japanese kids are taught as soon as they begin teething. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

4 comments:

Epicure68 said...

What I do with large rolls is turn them on their side, rather than straight on. That way you can bite it in half, and still hang on to it to keep it from falling into your soy sauce and causing a wave of soy sauce tsunami to cover the front of your white shirt.

Liz said...

Biting it in half always proves to be a disaster for me. I end up looking like I'm having a soy sauce and avocado facial.

Epicure68 said...

But avocadoes are great for your pores, aren't they? Or was that for your hair?

Liz said...

Aha! So that's why I've got that healthy glow.