Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I See Dead People


There's an exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Man that I wish I could see. It's called Bodies - The Exhibition and it's an in depth look at the human body and all its parts.

Why can't I see it? Because I'm a blood-and-guts wimp, and the idea of seeing a real live (well maybe not live) cadaver all opened up makes me light-headed. And not in a good way.

I've had a couple of medical procedures done where the doctor offered to set up a monitor so I could watch every grisly moment. Being drugged, strapped down and cut open, and then watching it all happen is just way too Hannibal Lecter for me.

Being a wimp is really disappointing; I'd love to see that exhibit. I'm sure it's fascinating and I'd probably learn a lot. And I could participate by giving a live demonstration of the art of human regurgitation. But I'd probably lose my museum pass.

5 comments:

Epicure68 said...

If you can strap on a barf bag, I'd highly recommend it. I saw the exhibition at Chicago, and then again in Vancouver, and it is the coolest thing. The one exhibit that made me want to never touch food again was the cross sections of obese people, but the rest was fascinating.

Liz said...

It sounds so amazing. But I'm the kind of person who makes the nurse hold my hand during a blood test.

Even as a kid, Milton Bradley's Operation game made me squeamish. Trust me, I need to skip this one.

Epicure68 said...

I'm squeamish when it comes to needles, that's the one thing I can't take. You can always pretend it's part of a sci-fi show instead.

Does this mean you didn't go watch Grindhouse?

Liz said...

Funny you should mention Grindhouse. I love Quentin Tarantino, and Pulp Fiction will always be one of my favorite films, but I can't see any of his other ones. Just too gory pour moi.

(I know, I know. Big W-I-M-P.)

Epicure68 said...

Nah, I try not to watch any of Tarantino's other movies either. Too much gratuitous violence for me. I'd rather read about it than watch it.