Wednesday, March 29, 2006

No Bogus Apostrophes, Dude

Apostrophe. It sounds like the title of a Greek tragedy. Apostrophe was Antigone’s sister; you know, the possessive one.

But what’s really tragic is that so many people treat apostrophes like maraschino cherries, adding them to words whether they’re needed or not.

I see examples like this all the time:

• Back in the 60’s
• Apple’s - 3 for a dollar
• Womens’ restroom

Here’s how they should be spelled:

• Back in the ‘60s
• Apples – 3 for a dollar
• Women’s restroom

I know, I sound like an anal retentive, nitpicky cuckoo clock, but bad punctuation makes me all fatootzed. Sure, I have my own love-hate relationship with commas, but that’s another story.

And when I master the comma sutra, I’ll be sure to let you know.


5 comments:

DOROTEA said...

Dear Shpilkes,

Who cares about apostrophes? Everyone knows what people really mean even if they don't know the grammatical correctness.

Its, it's, schwitz.

Plots, plot's, platz.

Being a correct librarian is nice,
Being flexible is better.

Being perfect is never twice.
Being once, is better.

Apostrophes, the best of mes.
Or me's.
xxoo
Yo

Dorotea said...

Hey Shpilke's,

Its irritating, isnt it?

Martha said...

>>>>Apostrophe was Antigone’s sister; you know, the possessive one. <<<<

Ahahahhaha.

P.S. And not to be nitpicky or anything, but shouldn't there be a hyphen in "anal-retentive"? (Hee.)

av said...

Bob the angry flower agrees:
http://angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Kvetch said...

I couldn't agree more!