Friday, April 20, 2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

I need to understand why the geniuses at Toyota who developed the Prius engine felt they needed to add an annoying beeping sound to the reverse gear. Every time I put the gear shift in R, my little hybrid wonder sounds like a giant piece of construction equipment on the jobsite of yet another condo complex in progress.

But only inside the car.

Here's the thing. I can hear it and my lucky passenger can hear it, but if you're behind me and about to get hit, you're not going to hear it. You see, I know I'm in reverse. I'm the one who moved the damn gear shift. So who's being warned here?

And I've been putting up with this since July. Finally fed up, I found instructions on About.com that explain how to disable that relentless beep. I haven't tried it yet but if it works it'll feel almost as good as going 500 miles on a tank of gas.

2 comments:

JahTeh said...

Perhaps you got the wrong model car. We all know that men can't tell if they're coming or going so maybe you should take it back and ask for the female version.

Liz said...

LOL Jahteh! Apparently you haven't heard about my legendary sense of direction. What I really need is a car that beeps when I make a wrong turn.